Useful tips for starting a conversation
Knowing how to start a conversation when you’re worried about a mate can be tough. The tips below are a good place to start to help make having a conversation easier for both of you:
- Pick a place that is quiet to chat
- Start with listening, save your advice for later
- Listen hard to understand what they’re saying
- Show they have your full attention by not fiddling with your phone or doing other things
- Try asking open-ended questions such as “How are you feeling?”, “What makes you think that?”, “Can you describe that a little more?”
The next step is to support them to get help if they need it. Have a look below for information on how to do that.